Weightloss Tracker

Monday, June 20, 2011

Vacation Tips

I just got back from a mini-vacation in Hilton Head and it was wonderful! I just love being near the ocean. There is something about the beach that rejuvenates me and refreshes my soul. One day, I hope to have a "getaway" beach house or live on the beach. The beauty is incredible and I always seem to rediscover myself. While I was gone, I came up with a list of tips that helped me stay on track as much as possible. I will say this was the first trip that I have taken since I have started my weightloss journey and it was great for me to see that I can continue to live my new lifestyle even away from the comfort of my home. :) Feel free to add more vacation tips to the comments section if you would like!

Hope's Vacation Tips:
1. Download lots of upbeat, fun music on your iPhone, Ipod, MP3 player for exercise.This will keep you motivated and excited to exercise on your vacation.
2. Pre-portion out snacks such as fruit, chips, crackers, etc. so you can easily grab them when heading out to the beach, the pool, on a hike, etc. This took me a little extra time in the beginning but it was AWESOME to have everything ready to go when I wanted it. :)
3. Take a cooler of food you eat at home already. I know most of the time, people wait and buy groceries when they get to wherever they are going but this was so helpful for me because it kept me in check. I know what food comes into my house now and what foods are my trigger foods. By taking my foods with me, it prevented me from going to an unknown grocery store and getting "whatever" foods I wanted. It also is nice because you have everything or almost everything ready to go if you are hungry when you arrive to your destination.
4. Download a free app on your phone that will track your outdoor exercise. Many times on vacation, we stay in a house or condo which does not have a gym so I have to take my exercise outside. I actually ENJOYED exercising outside in Hilton Head! I walked all around the area we were staying in, discovered BEAUTIFUL sceneries, and enjoyed the fresh air. Also, many people enjoy walking or running on the beach.
Some suggestions for iPhone users: (there are TONS of different Apps you can use, find one that fits you)
-Nike + GPS
-iMapMyRun (my favorite!!)
-5K Runner
-Nike Boom
-Nike + iPod (
5. TAKE YOUR EXERCISE OUTSIDE! Try something different! Discover your surroundings! This was SO much fun last weekend!
6. Plan a designated time for exercise. Remember, part of being on vacation is making time for YOU! Exercise is a very important part of taking care of you so make sure you do it but also enjoy it. :) My time was from 9-10am when it was cool outside and before the prime "sun" times. :)
7. If you can, try to take your pet along with you. We were lucky enough to be able to take my parents dog with us and I enjoyed walking Abigail around the property. Taking pets is a great way to make sure you get exercise because you have to walk them and get them moving. It is also nice to have a companion walk/run along side of you.
8. Research restaurant menus online before going. This was a great way for me to make good decisions about what food I was going to eat. Several of the restaurants did not have a calorie count online but I was able to decide what I was going to get beforehand without being tempted once I got there. Also, by looking over the menu beforehand, you have time to really see all of the options the restaurant has to offer instead of going for your "usual."
9. Research fun activities you could do with your significant other or family. So many places have awesome extracurricular things to do while you are on vacation. Try something out like canoeing, kayaking, tennis, renting bicycles, ropes course, hikes, surfing, etc.
10. Take a motivational book(s) to read. I took several books on vacation with me to read since it is usually the only time I really can spend time reading. Find a book that will keep you motivated to stay on track while you are away. I have read some wonderful books lately and they continue to pick me up and get me back thinking of how to stay on track.
Some great reads for motivation:
Working it Out-Abby Rike
Believe it, Be it-Ali Vincent
Love Food, Eat Well-Chantel Hobbs
10 Lessons From a Former Fat Girl-Amy Parham
Master Your Metabolism-Jillian Michaels
Unlimited-Jillian Michaels
Are You Ready-Bob Harper

I hope some of these tips will help you stay on track while you are away from home and enjoying your vacation. Remember, continue to make small changes to your normal routine. These small changes will add up to make a BIG change. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment